Friday, July 16, 2010

En Traunsee, Gmunden, etc.


A 4:30 sunrise view of the lake from my window :).

JUL.13- JUl. 16

Hmm let's see. We spent the last few days at the lakehouse. It was sort of familiar, strangely enough. I did some swimming and a lot of reading. Also, we visited the nearby town of Gmunden twice.

On the 13th, Christa and I went over alone at about 3? in the afternoon to Bad Ischl. It is so named because of its "healing water." It is also the location of the Austrian emperor's summer house and his wife's also (Queen Elizabeth as we know her, or "Sissy").


On the way there we stopped to try some smoke fish (thanks to whoever suggested that).
It was the best fish I have ever eaten. Most of the fish in the lake are trout, due to its depth.




After our visit to Bad Ischl and the villa, we went to see a concentration camp.
However, the visiting area closed at 5pm, so we just went up to the door. This was actually not where they lived, but where they mined rocks during the day.



The next few days were spent at this beautiful house, soaking in the lovely weather and awesome view. I spent some time "kayaking" around on a windsurfing board. Also did a little swimming, and read a book of Peter's that Christa lent me. For the week (though a short week; Tue-Fri morn) it was just me, Christa and Manuel since Peter had some meetings and Konstantine had to give tennis lessons.


(The view of the boathouse from the porch of the house).

Swans are common here. These two swans were around everywhere. One time, I was sitting by the lake, and one came up and started hissing and me and poofed itself up.
Geez I was there first!

The final morning with all my stuff packed and ready to go on the porch, before we left.

2 comments:

  1. Any plans to visit Stift Melk (the Abbey of Melk)? It's on the way to Wien, and has lots of interesting art.

    BTW, what word do the locals use for cow juice? I ran into some trouble with that when ordering breakfast once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up lately? A postcard is in the mail.

    ReplyDelete